HOUSEKEEPING TEAM DESCRIPTION
The goal of the facilities team is to have the sanctuary, classrooms and dining hall ready for use. Because the main use will be on Sundays, having a few groups within the team would be best. The areas need to be ready before use (toiletries set, trash bags in place, areas swept and mopped, etc.) and cleaned immediately after use (trash cans are emptied, trash is picked up from sanctuary and classrooms, seats are raised for easy cleaning.
HOUSEKEEPING TEAM REQUIREMENTS
- God’s Dwelling Place. The housekeeping team understands the importance of God’s presence in the individual: 1 Corinthians 3:16, Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? But also understands the importance of God’s presence in groups: Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” As importantly, they understand God’s command on assembling as the body of Christ, Hebrews 10:25, Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
- A Servant’s Heart. The core motivation of the Housekeeping Team is serving. In Peter 4:10 it reads, Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
- Expectations. The guidelines for the Housekeeping team membership are:
- personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- a faith outlined by the creeds of the church
- an active membership in the ongoing life of the church
- Commitment. Attendance at workshops or training sessions, meeting an hour before service begins
- Preparation. Preparation begins on a day other than Sunday. Team will meet on a weekday to prepare areas and/or discuss ideas on how to make the experience a pleasing one.
- Sacrifice. Being on the facilities team means sacrifice. If you’re called to the Housekeeping team ministry, you’re not there just to enjoy and receive. You’re worshiping in a different way. You’re attentive to what God wants to do through you.
HOUSEKEEPING TEAM DYNAMICS
The Housekeeping team will encounter all kinds of people and various degrees of personalities. Hence, the following are practical suggestions for dealing with team members:
- Be sensitive. This may be new to the member, so, be patient.
- Inspire. Building an environment to freely be creative is important.
- Mentor. Be ready to guide, teach and support your team with their ideas. The goal is to help the member grow a sense of ownership to their position and to their church.