MAINTENANCE & GROUNDSKEEPING TEAM DESCRIPTION
The goal of the maintenance & groundskeeping team is to have the grounds presentable, and to monitor/schedule any repairs needed on church property. The curb appeal (landscaping and cleanliness of parking areas) must always be maintained, especially before Sundays. Having a few groups within the team would be best to alternate. Any repairs need to be addressed by this team and collaborated with the pastor to determine if repairs are feasible.
MAINTENANCE & GROUNDS KEEPING TEAM REQUIREMENTS
- God’s Dwelling Place. The maintenance & groundskeeping team understands the importance of God’s presence in the individual: 1 Corinthians 3:16, Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? But also, understands the importance of God’s presence in groups: Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” As importantly, they understand God’s command on assembling as the body of Christ, Hebrews 10:25,Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
- A Servant’s Heart. The core motivation of the maintenance & groundskeeping team is serving. In Peter 4:10 it reads, Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
- Expectations. The guidelines for the maintenance & groundskeeping team membership are:
- personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- a faith outlined by the creeds of the church
- an active membership in the ongoing life of the church
- Commitment. Attendance at workshops or training sessions, meeting an hour before service begins.
- Preparation. Preparation begins on a day other than Sunday. Team will meet on a weekday to prepare areas and/or discuss ideas on how to make the experience more effective and a pleasing one.
- Sacrifice. Being on the maintenance & groundskeeping team means sacrifice. If you’re called to themaintenance & groundskeeping ministry, you’re not there just to enjoy and receive. You’re worshiping in a different way. You’re attentive to what God wants to do through you.
MAINTENANCE & GROUNDS KEEPING TEAM DYNAMICS
The Maintenance & Groundskeeping Team will encounter all kinds of people and various degrees of personalities. Hence, the following are practical suggestions for dealing with team members:
- Be sensitive. This may be new to the member, so, be patient.
- Inspire. Building an environment to freely be creative is important.
- Mentor. Be ready to guide, teach and support your team with their ideas. The goal is to help the member grow a sense of ownership to their position and to their church.